After a 20+ year career as a Commodities Trader and Financial Markets Specialist, Nick has pivoted into the professional services sector, with his appointment as Head of Research at JFB Legal. Nick brings a wealth of industry and technical expertise in the commodities and physical energy markets and is widely recognized as an expert in over the counter and listed derivative commodities products. Nick is originally from England. Prior to his career in financial services, Nick worked in the healthcare sector as a sales executive for a global pharmaceutical company.
University of Leeds, B.A. Social Policy, B.A. Sociology, cum laude, 1990
Leeds University Rugby
Leeds University Crew
FINRA Series 7, Series 63, and Series 3 Licenses (inactive)
SFA Futures & Options Representative License (inactive)
Notary Public, Commonwealth of Virginia (active)
Association of British Pharmaceutical Industry Certificate
Foreign Language – French
GLG – New York, NY
- Council Member – Provided independent consulting focused on the energy sector (upstream, midstream, power). Provided in-depth fundamental views of the underlying commodity markets including oil, refined products, natural gas, and power (US and Europe). Typical clients included Private Equity and Hedge Funds.
RS Energy – New York, NY
- Director of Institutional Sales – Responsible for building the institutional client portfolio in America and Europe, providing clients with competitive intelligence, business development strategies, benchmarking, asset evaluations and investment initiatives.
Marex Financial Limited – New York, NY
- Senior Vice President – Institutional Sales – Responsible for developing cross-commodity sales concepts to new institutional clients while maintaining the existing client book. Provided energy coverage and execution for institutional metals clients and risk management solutions to all clients, with in-depth fundamental and technical analysis.
ED&F Mann Capital Markets Ltd / Jefferies, LLC – New York, NY
- Senior Vice President – Developed a hedge fund business for the commodity division with a focus on energy. Authored the firm’s daily energy report on crude oil products and natural gas. Cross-sold all asset classes and commodities both internally and externally with potential and existing clients. Helped develop a natural gas execution business (options, futures).
Compagnie Financière Tradition – New York, NY
- Strategic Development Manager – Part of an international team managing and growing the existing buy-side client base across all business lines, with responsibility for key client relationships. Built a commodity index options business and helped develop a cross-asset cleared volatility product, working with the CME. Recognized as a commodity specialist, providing customer commentary on crude oil and natural gas. Authored a training booklet on commodities that was used to educate employees.
Société Générale Corporate & Investment Banking – Paris, France & New York, NY
- Vice President, Energy Hedge Fund Sales – Managed the Northeast Power (PJM, New England, and Cinergy) swaps desk and helped run the options books. Worked in US natural gas basis trading, executing, and hedging customer/desk orders. Developed a vanilla flow investor desk focused on the energy spectrum. Built a significant client list of hedge funds, asset managers, and pension funds. Coordinated support groups dealing with Credit, IAs, and Clearport. Member of steering group for cross-business coordination.
- Senior Trader – Gaselys (Joint Venture between Société Générale and Gaz de France) – Managed the NBP gas customer and proprietary term financial and physical books. Production Manager for surplus field gas on behalf of GDF. Actively managed both speculative and customer financial and physical UK Power books. Responsible for the analysis, design, and implementation of hedging strategies for GDF generation. Developed a German Power book and managed the Nordpool activity: swaps and the volatility books.
Reliant Energy – Houston, TX
- Energy Trader – Managed the proprietary PJM Book for the Texas-based utility company.
Equinor, formally Statoil – Alexandria, VA
- Energy Trader – Managed the US Power Book.
Glaxo Smith Kline – London, UK
- Sales Executive – Marketed prescription drugs to the medical profession, including hospitals, pharmacies, specialists, and general medical practitioners. Role had a specific product focus on treatments for gastro-intestinal conditions and for chronic migraines.
- The National Association of Legal Assistants