Maryia Jones is Counsel at JFB Legal. She specializes in commercial litigation and trial work. Maryia defends a broad range of consumer facing companies, including traditional and crypto financial institutions, in lawsuits brought under federal and state consumer protection laws and regulatory enforcement actions. She also represents clients in business disputes, products liability lawsuits, and other complex matters. Maryia has handled individual and class actions in many states, including Virginia, West Virginia, New York, New Jersey, California, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Texas. She has successfully prosecuted and defended jury and bench trials in federal and state courts. On the appellate level, Maryia has obtained victories for her clients in the Virginia Supreme Court and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. Maryia graduated from William & Mary Law School in the top ten percent of her class.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2009
- Graduated in the Top 10%
- Vice-President of International Law Society
Belarusian State University, B.A. and M.A., International Studies, 2004, magna cum laude
- Represent leading digital assets platform in a variety of actions, including defense of mass arbitrations nationwide arising from an information security breach and defense of regulatory enforcement action.
- Represent a leading food and beverage manufacturer in products liability lawsuits and business disputes.
- Successfully defended national banks and other financial institutions in class actions and individual lawsuits brought under federal and state consumer protection laws nationwide.
- Secured early dismissals and summary judgments on various claims arising from mortgage origination and servicing against numerous creditors.
- Defended credit reporting bureaus against claims brought under Fair Credit Reporting Act in individual and class actions nationwide.
- Represented national bank in a series of class actions arising from mortgage forbearance practices under the CARES Act.
- Obtained a jury verdict in a federal jury trial in favor of an oil company, including an award of punitive damages against defendants.
- In a case of first impression, obtained an important ruling in client’s favor on valuation of partnership assets in a complex business dispute.
- Secured a seminal ruling from a federal court denying plaintiffs’ novel motion for a county-only class certification.
Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Represented numerous financial institutions in connection with regulatory investigations by the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, state attorneys general, and bank commissioners.
- Obtained political asylum for a national of Liberia at risk of persecution based on his connections to an overthrown former political leader of Liberia.
Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders, Virginia Beach, VA (2010 – 2021)
- Litigation Associate
- New York State
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association