Livia Fine is a Counsel at JFB Legal. She has broad experience representing and counseling clients in a wide range of matters in many areas of law and across several industries. Livia has represented leading companies and executives in the fields of technology, cryptocurrency, banking, private equity, genomics, pharmaceuticals, media, and energy, among others. She has led teams in areas of law that include antitrust, natural resources, bankruptcy, securities, breach of contract, white collar crime, product liability, and others. Livia regularly goes to trial and prepares cases for trial before judges and juries in state and federal court, and before arbitrators. Livia loves developing and mining the factual record to craft litigation strategies and prepare cases for summary judgment and trial. She partners with clients to learn all aspects of their business, examine their needs, and identify potential litigation risks and solutions.
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- Senior Articles Editor, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
Duke University, B.A., Public Policy, 2004
The Hon. J.L. Edmondson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (2011 – 2012)
- Represented one of the world’s largest media and technology companies in a closely watched antitrust trial in United States District Court for the Northern District of California involving allegations about its industry-leading mobile device and App Store. Defeated all federal antitrust claims and won counterclaim.
- Represented Chief Financial Officer of the world’s second largest mining company in connection with SEC enforcement action and private class action related to accounting practices. Obtained rare dismissal of all fraud counts and positively positioned case for upcoming trial in the Southern District of New York. Obtained dismissal of follow-on private class action, including successful opposition on appeal to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented one of the largest broadband communication and video service providers in breach of contract litigation regarding recent merger.
- Represented major international bank in arbitral victory, defeating a multibillion-dollar fraudulent inducement, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty claim brought by a sovereign wealth fund related to a $7.5 billion investment.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in bellwether trial as part of national product liability litigation regarding a major anti-depressant. Obtained two complete defense verdicts in two different jurisdictions.
- Represented the leading provider of television ratings in the FTC Second Request investigation of a proposed $1.25 billion acquisition, resulting in the negotiation and entry of a consent decree approving the acquisition with minimal conditions.
- Represented major international energy company in a $9 billion precedent-setting environmental damage case involving 66 days of testimony and closing arguments.
Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Represented leading crypto mining company in SEC investigation of recent transactions.
- Represented major international bank in state and federal investigation of compliance practices related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented former CEO and Chairman of one of the world’s largest retailers in internal and federal investigation of international real estate purchases.
Pro Bono Representations
- Represented an indigent defendant wrongly accused and previously convicted of murder in a jury trial in New York State Court. After a fifth double murder trial and more than 16 years in jail, the client was acquitted and released from prison.
- Represented individuals before the New York State Unemployment Appeals Board.
- Represented victim of violent assault in state and federal case against the New York State Department of Corrections for negligent treatment of mentally ill prisoner and improper release procedures.
Prior to JFB Legal
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP, New York, NY (2010-2021)
- Litigation Associate (2010-2011, 2012-2021)
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York State
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Trade & Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association