John F. (“Jack”) Baughman is the Founder and Managing Partner at JFB Legal. Jack brings more than 25 years of courtroom experience and is one of the leading trial lawyers of his generation. Jack has repeatedly won “bet the company” and benchmark trials for significant clients, including several worth upwards of $1 billion. Jack prepares every case on the assumption that it will go to trial, and he is known for his willingness to do so. His rigorous attention to detail and tenacity for learning the facts to develop a robust trial strategy set him apart. His preparation and creativity provide a tremendous advantage in court and significant leverage in settlement discussions. Due to his experience and reputation, Jack is frequently retained as trial counsel, or for a significant oral argument, and he is accustomed to working with other attorneys and law firms to prepare a case. Mr. Baughman also functions as the General Counsel of the firm.
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1993, cum laude
- Note Editor, Michigan Law Review
Stanford University, P.h.D., Biological Sciences, 1990
Harvard University, B.A., Biology, 1985, magna cum laude
The Hon. Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York (1993 – 1994)
American Lawyer – Litigator of the Week
Lawdragon – 500 Leading Lawyers in America
Multiple teaching awards
Jack has handled an enormous range of cases. Here is a sample:
- In December 2020, Jack was lead trial counsel in a high-profile case in the Southern District of New York representing a major bank in a $900 million dispute over mistaken payments.
- In 2019, Jack was lead counsel in The Frederick Hsu Living Trust v. ODN Holding Corp., a precedent-setting case in Delaware Chancery Court. Jack’s client won on all claims.
- In 2018, Jack was lead counsel in Alloway v. Bowlmor AMF, in New York Supreme Court. Jack obtained dismissal of all claims against all defendants.
- In September 2017, Jack was brought in as lead trial counsel in a $2.5 billion federal antitrust case following a failed mediation. Jack repositioned the case and, on the eve of trial, it settled for less than 1/8th of the plaintiff’s previous demand.
- In May 2017, Jack was lead trial counsel in a $750 million licensing dispute between a pharmaceutical company and a public university. Following jury selection in California State Court, the case was resolved on terms extremely favorable to Jack’s client.
- In April 2017, Jack was lead trial counsel in a complex reinsurance case in New York Supreme Court. The adversary asked to settle after Jack’s opening statement to the jury.
- In February 2017, Jack was lead trial counsel for a major drug store chain in litigation with its former CEO. He obtained a multi-million-dollar award for his client.
- In 2016, Jack was lead trial counsel for a major Wall Street Bank, in one of the few 10b-5 securities fraud cases ever to go to trial. Following a two-month trial, the plaintiff agreed to settle for 12% of his original demand.
- From January through September 2014, Jack was the lead trial attorney for an international energy company in a $9 billion precedent-setting environmental damages case. Following 66 days of trial, including Jack’s closing argument, the plaintiff settled for less than 2.5% of claimed damages.
- In 2011, Jack was lead trial lawyer in Chambers vs. Catullo, acting for the plaintiff in a unique libel case. Following a three-month trial, Jack obtained a permanent injunction in favor of his client. This result, successful enjoining defamatory speech is extremely rare.
- In 2010, Jack and two colleagues were trial counsel in Terra Firma vs. Citigroup Inc. Jack was instrumental in obtaining a complete defense verdict for his client, eliminating more than $7 billion in claims.
- In 2008, Jack was co-lead trial counsel in Bondi vs. Citigroup, where Jack and his co-counsel defeated claims worth more than $12 billion.
- In United States vs. Michael Yuen, Jack successfully obtained an extremely rare dismissal of criminal charges after the close of the Government’s case.
- In United States vs. Raymond Bitar, Jack negotiated an extremely favorable plea for the former CEO of Full Tilt Poker.
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, New York, NY (1994-2020)
- Litigation Partner (2001 – 2020)
- Litigation Associate (1994 – 2001)
- New York State
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Virginia Bar Association
- Norfolk – Portsmouth Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Combar (The Commercial Bar Association)
- ARIAS U.S. (AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society)
- Federal Bar Association
- I’Anson-Hoffman Inn of Court