George Kroup is a Partner at JFB Legal. He is a creative lawyer with substantial experience in every aspect of commercial litigation practice, from pre-dispute research and investigation through trial and appeal. George works across industries – including telecommunications, media, energy, health care, and finance – and has taken cases to conclusion before federal and state courts, bankruptcy courts, arbitral bodies, and administrative tribunals. Many of his matters have a cross-border component, and he has frequently partnered with counsel and experts from other jurisdictions, including England, The Bahamas, Italy, and Latin America to apply foreign law in U.S. courts or to resolve international disputes that implicate U.S. law.
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2007, cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Semifinalist, Hinton Moot Court Competition
Cornell University, B.A., College Scholar, 2002
- Scholarship, Cornell Branch of Telluride Association
- College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Scholar
- Represented, as trial counsel, an international cell tower builder in arbitration claims concerning breach of asset purchase and share purchase agreements.
- Represented minority investors in arbitration claims against a multi-billion dollar asset management firm in connection with the unlawful forced redemption of their membership interests.
- Represented tenants of an international co-working company in connection with disputes arising from the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Represented a power plant builder and operator in connection with a multimillion-dollar statutory interpleader action arising from a dispute between investors.
- Represented, as trial and appellate counsel, a major cable provider in a lawsuit alleging violations of FCC regulations. Obtained a complete victory on de novo review by the full commission.
- Represented the media company debtor in a disputed bankruptcy confirmation proceeding. The debtor’s plan was confirmed over all objections.
- Represented a global financial institution in a lawsuit concerning the valuation of defaulted derivatives contracts. The matter settled at trial.
- Represented an energy company – and obtained a total victory – in a dispute concerning the tax obligations of affiliated entities following a spin-off transaction.
- Represented the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, and the Institute of International Bankers as amicus curiae in connection with litigation arising from the Madoff bankruptcy.
- Represented an international solar energy company accused of violating the whistleblower retaliation provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Achieved dismissal of all claims.
- Represented an employee with SEC whistleblower claims against a financial services firm.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in connection with litigation and advice concerning non-compete obligations and other restrictive covenants.
- Represented ex-executive in separation negotiations, including alleged claims of gender and racial discrimination under Title VII.
Pro Bono Matters
- Represented various artists and arts organizations in litigation and dispute matters through Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
- Represented a resident alien subject to deportation in appellate proceedings before the U.S. Court of Appeals.
- Represented veterans’ organizations as amici curiae in support of challenges to the Department of Defense’s discriminatory policies against transgender service members.
- Represented New York City Bar Association’s Cyrus Vance Center in connection with engagements concerning international anti-corruption law.
- Senior Counsel
- New York State
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit