Emma Somers is a Researcher at JFB Legal. A recent graduate of Johns Hopkins University, majoring in Cognitive Science and minoring in Marketing & Communications and Leadership Studies, Emma brings both academic and professional research experience to JFB Legal, through her participation and organization of multiple research projects, both in academia and for commercial enterprises. At JFB Legal, Emma is responsible for maintaining a client focused newsfeed for the firm, and conducting extensive research, review, and fundamental analysis to assist the attorneys as they prepare cases for trial.
Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, M.A., European Public Policy (expected completion Summer 2025)
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, M.H.S., Mental Health (expected completion Spring 2024)
Varsity Track and Field Team
Johns Hopkins University, B.A. in Cognitive Science, Minor in Marketing & Communication, Minor in Leadership Studies (Spring 2023)
- Dean’s List
- General Honors
- Departmental Honors in Cognitive Science
- Track & Field Team, Captain (2022-2023)
- Alpha Phi Fraternity Member
- NEST Consulting Club
Research Assistant, Johns Hopkins Center for Psychedelic & Consciousness Research, Baltimore, MD (Part-time, November 2022 – Present)
- Assists with the management of multiple study protocols relating to the effects of psychedelics and brain stimulation on both healthy and unhealthy participants.
- Conducts patient screenings to assess potential participants’ eligibility for participation in certain protocols.
- Conducts research that furthers understanding of current protocols and existing research, often compiled into literature reviews on topics pertaining to each study.
- Performs data analysis specific to each study, such as data transcription, data acceptance or rejection, and statistic calculation.
Johns Hopkins Campus Manager, Fresh Prints, Remote (August 2022 – May 2023)
- Collaborating with over 100 on-campus organizations at Johns Hopkins University to create their own custom apparel for internal consumption, events, or fundraising.
- Building and developing a network of over 30 student and corporate clients in Baltimore to create and sell custom merchandise.
- Guiding clients through the creation and distribution process, from design to item specifications, pricing, and finally, order submission and delivery.
Legal Intern, Baltimore Witness, Baltimore, MD (February 2021 – May 2021)
- Published over 25 articles and summarized data relating to violent crime activity and case development in Baltimore City to promote transparency within the Baltimore County legal system and provide public updates on active court cases.
- Research and analyzed violent crime data in Baltimore City by tracking and compiling active gun-related cases.
- Attended and reported on courtroom procedures, trials, and hearings regarding violent crime cases in Baltimore City.
Senior Counselor, Norfolk Academy Leadership Lab, Norfolk, VA (June 2021, June 2022)
- Led 120 rising high school sophomores and juniors through an 8-day rural and urban immersive retreat in Prince William National Forest and Washington D.C. designed to facilitate personal growth and leadership skills.
- Facilitated group and individual discussions that required campers to navigate internal emotions in peer settings.
- Organized physical activities such as orienteering, designed to develop each participant’s leadership style.
Summer Camp Counselor, Summer at the Academy, Norfolk, VA (June 2016 – August 2016)
- Oversaw groups of 20+ fourth and fifth graders in themed summer day camps
- Ensured all campers’ continued safety throughout their day as well as emotional and physical wellness through constant communication, individual check ins, and group discussions.
- Planned and executed all activities for campers and organized any transportation needed for camp activities.
- Facilitated any necessary conflict resolution between campers throughout each week.
- Oversaw parent pick-up and drop-off of all campers.