Deborah Betterton is a Senior Paralegal and the Norfolk Office Manager at JFB Legal. Deborah brings 14+ years of paralegal litigation experience gained at a boutique law firm where she managed a trial-heavy caseload of civil and criminal matters. Deborah is a detail-oriented quick thinker who has proven her ability to meet challenges head-on while multi-tasking and adapting to changing priorities.
Tidewater Community College, A.A.S., Paralegal Studies (Litigation), 2013, magna cum laude
Notary Public, Commonwealth of Virginia (active)
- General Practice Paralegal – Responsible for preparing a variety of legal pleadings as directed by supervising attorneys. Managed trial-heavy case load through all stages of litigation cycle; coordinated hearing dates and scheduled matters in local courts; calendarized deadlines; and assisted supervising attorneys with all aspects of trial preparation. Drafted and reviewed all phases of discovery in civil matters as directed by supervising attorneys. Acted as liaison between attorneys, courts, clients, and opposing parties.
- Legal Assistant/Legal Department Supervisor – Responsible for large volume collection docket. Appeared in local courts with supervising attorney to assist with completion of court documents, evaluated and noted funds received in collection actions, and scheduled trial dates with court for disputed matters. Maintained records relating to court dockets and updated files with court results and attorney recommendations. Acted as liaison between firm and collection clients. Prepared legal pleadings as directed by attorneys and assisted attorneys with all aspects of trial preparation.
- Real Estate Paralegal – Responsible for performing residential real estate closings under supervision of attorneys. Evaluated title binder and collected records and funds required for closings. Completed closing documents and forwarded same to lenders for loan closing approval. Disbursed funds from real estate closings pursuant to executed Closing Disclosures and ensured lien and loan payoffs were timely submitted. Prepared and ensured timely filing of Deeds and Deeds of Trust. Provided title insurance policies to both buyers and lenders. Handled any post-closing issues as they arose.
- Executive Assistant to Director of Safety and Security – Responsible for updating and maintaining Safety Policy and Procedure Manual. Acted as liaison among hospital executives and employees. Managed department calendar and contact list. Provided safety training to all hospital departments. Maintained meeting minutes for interdepartmental meetings and prepared memos, presentations, and reports for the department Director. Developed an inventory tracking system. Coordinated with vendors for required services and provided access to restricted areas as needed. Assisted department supervisors with supervision of department staff members and assigning tasks for completion.
- The National Association of Legal Assistants