Alexander Kalyniuk is an Associate at JFB Legal. Alexander is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience representing parties in all phases of litigation including pre-suit investigation, pleading, discovery, dispositive motions, trial, and appeals. He has argued dispositive motions and tried both bench and jury trials in federal court. He represents clients in a broad variety of cases. While working for the Department of Justice, he handled over 100 cases in federal courts in over 30 jurisdictions covering tax, foreign banking, partnership, administrative, constitutional, property, and international law. In addition, Alexander has substantive bankruptcy law experience, having represented creditors, financial institutions, and government agencies in large Chapter 11 bankruptcies such as Toys “R” Us, Gymboree, and FTD. He received two awards for his work at the Department of Justice: a special commendation for a trial win and an award presented to outstanding trial attorneys.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2017, cum laude
- William & Mary Business Law Review, Managing Editor & Outstanding Member
- ABA Award for Excellence in Health Law
- Law Review Article: More Than Just a Toothache? N.C. Dental Leaves Medical Boards Vulnerable: A Look at Telemedicine Companies and Antitrust Challenges to State Prescription Drug Rules, 8 Wm. & Mary Bus. L. Rev. 175 (2016)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A. in History of Science, Medicine, and Technology, 2014, with distinction
The Hon. Kevin R. Huennekens, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond, VA (2017-2018)
- Served as first chair in a remote trial via Zoom in Pennsylvania which resulted in a favorable ruling for the government that the debtor’s tax debts were not dischargeable since he had willfully attempted to evade his taxes.
- Argued and won a motion for summary judgment in Virginia in the first successful fraudulent transfer lawsuit to collect on a judgment for civil penalties related to the failure to report foreign bank or financial accounts (FBAR).
- Represented the government in a contested matter in the FTD bankruptcy case that resulted in a precedential jurisdictional win in Delaware for a multimillion dollar issue.
- Represented the government in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case in California for a prominent engineer who had been previously convicted of stealing self-driving car technology but was later pardoned.
- Represented the Chapter 7 Trustee of the bankruptcy estate of a debtor incarcerated for fraud and recouped hundreds of thousands of dollars for the benefit of creditors through avoidance actions.
- Represented the government in the Chapter 11 plan negotiation process in several large bankruptcies in Delaware such as FTD, AAC Holdings, and In-Shape Holdings.
- Obtained injunctions against businesses in federal courts in New Jersey and North Carolina for their failure to comply with federal tax law.
- Represented several low-income individuals in divorce proceedings in central and western Virginia.
United States Department of Justice, Tax Division, Civil Trial Section-Eastern, Washington, D.C. (2019-2023)
- Trial Attorney
Hirschler Fleischer, P.C., Richmond, VA (2018-2019)
- Associate Attorney
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Virginia