Scarlett Baughman is the Event Coordinator at JFB Legal. A recent graduate of UNLV’S William F. Harrah’s College of Hospitality, Scarlett brings both academic and professional event planning experience to JFB Legal, having worked in the hospitality sector for almost five years, most recently as an Event Hostess at a boutique event planning company serving the West Coast. At JFB Legal, Scarlett is responsible for arranging and coordinating all firm-sponsored corporate and practice development events, and for building and maintaining a client database.
The University of Nevada at Las Vegas, M.S., Hotel Administration (expected completion 2023)
- UNLV, College of Hospitality, Graduate Assistantship (Fall 2022)
The University of Nevada at Las Vegas, B.S., Hospitality Management, Minor in French, 2022, magna cum laude
- Honors College
- Dean’s List
- UNLVino & Rebel Challenge Scholarship
- UNLV Sports Club Executive Council, Treasurer
- Zeta Tau Alpha – Iota Eta Chapter, Fundraising Treasurer
- UNLV Crew, President & Captain
- Cirque du UNLV, Vice President
New York Bartending School, New York, NY, Bartending Certification, 2019
Southern Nevada Health District, Food Handler Safety Certificate, 2020
Event Hostess, A Simple Affair Events, Las Vegas, NV (November 2021 – May 2022)
Barista, Dutch Brothers Coffee, Las Vegas, NV (March 2021 – October 2021)
- Assisted with the planning, preparation, and organization of events, including weddings, conferences, celebrations, etc. developing detailed work schedules to ensure efficiency in terms of event logistics.
- Managed guests at functions and provided liaison between support staff and guests.
- Ensured that policies and contracts were followed, addressing issues in a timely and professional manner.
Server, Bartender, Food Runner & Hostess, Shorebreak Pizza and Taphouse, Virginia Beach, VA
- Provided excellent customer service in high volume business (100+ transactions per hour), establishing rapport with regular customers, while maintaining exceptional hospitality service to all guests.
- Multitasked in all areas of the business. Had responsibility for opening and closing the store, and for training new staff.
(2017 – 2021)
Server and Bartender
- Provided quick, friendly, and reliable server service to 35 tables per shift (90-table capacity) at this casual-dining local restaurant, exemplifying customer satisfaction standards. Maintained courteous and professional relations with diners.
- Prepared cocktails and specialty drinks to bar guests, up-selling high-shelf liquors.
- Ran food to all 90 tables plus the bar at a quick pace.
- Greeted diners at tables and maintained customer satisfaction, correcting kitchen errors promptly through liaison with management and servers.
Cottage Inspector, JCB Duck, LLC, Duck, NC
- Greeted all diners with high energy, enthusiasm, and kindness, handling wait times of up to 2 hours.
(2016 – 2020 – seasonal)
- Trusted keyholder for four beach rental houses. Reviewed houses on rental turnover day, ensuring cleanliness and identifying/resolving any repair issues.
Angela Vickers is a Paralegal at JFB Legal. Angela brings almost 20 years of experience working in banking as a Branch Manager, and more recently in the ecclesiastical sector as Office Manager of a large church in Virginia Beach.
Tidewater Community College, Career Studies Certificate, Paralegal, 2021
- Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
Lee University, B.A., History, 1998
Notary Public, State of Virginia (active)
Azalea Garden Church of God, Virginia Beach, VA
(2009 – 2022)
Bank @LANTEC, Virginia Beach, VA
- Office Manager – Managed the day-to-day operations of the church and assisted the Worship and Arts Pastor in planning and preparing for Sunday services and special events.
(2006 – 2009)
First Bank, Asheboro, NC
- Branch Manager – Managed the main branch, including a team of tellers and customer service representatives. Provided services to customers such as loans, new accounts and deposit transactions.
(2001 – 2006)
- Branch Officer – Assisted in managing the tellers, conducted weekly staff meetings and monthly security meetings. Also worked closely with the internal auditors to assure compliance with all applicable regulations. Opened new accounts and processed loans from inception to closing. Worked closely with attorneys to insure the loan closing package was complete and accurate.
- National Association of Legal Assistants
Tshering Sherpa is a Paralegal at JFB Legal. A recent graduate of the State University of New York (SUNY) at Geneseo, Tshering brings diverse experience, including being a front-line worker during the COVID-19 pandemic, founding a youth sports development program in rural Nepal, and earning her professional open water diver certification. Prior to joining JFB Legal, Tshering worked as a career peer mentor at SUNY’s Department of Career Services, and as a volunteer at the Greek America Corps Foundation, assisting with the Unaccompanied Minor/Refugee Program. Tshering loves challenges and exploring, and her academic curiosity led her to become a McNair Scholar, conducting a research project on Semantics.
The State University of New York, Geneseo, B.A. in International Relations & Psychology, 2021
- Norman R. McConney Jr. Award for Student Excellence
Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program
U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
The Jewish Foundation for Education of Women Eddie Lee ’76 Ambassadorship
Centro Superior de Lenguas Modernas de la Universidad de Cádiz, Cádiz, Spain, Intensive Summer Spanish Language Program, 2019
Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand, Introduction to the Thai Language Program, 2021
Unaccompanied Minor/Refugee Volunteer, Greek America Corps Foundation, New York, NY
(June 2021- August 2021)
Research Assistant, Department of Psychology, SUNY, Geneseo, NY
- Collaborated with the Greek Council of Refugees and METAdrasi to provide social and integration services to vulnerable cases, including unaccompanied minors, victims of trafficking, and refugees aiming to normalize their experience in Greece.
- Volunteered with Boroume, a charitable organization to reduce food waste and fight malnutrition to gather unsold food from farmers’ markets and distribute them to various soup kitchens throughout the city operated by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Athens.
- Supported dozens of homeless people by providing humanitarian help, counseling, and family support with the help of specialist streetworkers cultivating trusting relationships to implement individualized programs to meet their needs.
(March 2020-May 2021)
Career Peer Mentor, Department of Career Development, SUNY, Geneseo, NY
- Recruited 30+ Asian-Americans and Asians to understand their cultural adjustment experiences to create a structure and execute qualitative surveys and semi-structured interviews.
- Discussed the themes present in the interviews for the initial coding/content analysis to resolve disagreements to ensure a degree of objectivity in the content analysis.
- Published and presented the research, “A Qualitative Study of the Experience of Asian-American Students During Spring 2020” as a part of the 15th Annual Geneseo Recognizing Excellence (GREAT) Day.
(August 2019-December 2020)
- Advised undergraduate students in navigating website resources such as Handshake focus 2, and LinkedIn to help them successfully find information regarding internships, part-time jobs, and career assessments.
- Critiqued the student resume and cover letter development through 1:1 consultation during drop-in hours respective to their career and internship interest.
- Initiated projects to build connections between the international student population increasing participation and engagement.
- Nepali (Native)
- Hindi (Proficient)
- Urdu (Intermediate)
- Spanish (Intermediate)
- Korean (Beginner)
Tom S. Chen is an Associate at JFB Legal. A recent graduate of William & Mary Law School, Tom has experience conducting legal research in various complex civil litigation matters. Prior to joining JFB Legal, Mr. Chen worked as a legal intern for GS Engineering & Construction, researching issues on contract disputes, the enforceability of credit demand letters along with other international arbitration issues. Mr. Chen has also provided pro bono assistance through William & Mary’s Immigration Clinic and Veteran Benefits Clinic, working in various matters ranging from assisting individuals seeking asylum to helping veterans file claims for disability compensation.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2021
- Business Law Review, Articles Editor
Center for the Study of Law and Market Fellowship
National Asian Pacific American Law Student Association, Treasurer
University of Alberta, B.Comm., Finance, with distinction, 2018
- Business Finance Association, Treasurer
Law Offices of Andrew Free, Nashville, TN (Summer 2020)
GS Engineering & Construction, Seoul, South Korea (Summer 2019)
- Summer Fellowship – Researched and presented on related issues for a class action lawsuit, e.g., the Freedom of Information Act and how to use it to its full effect when dealing with a public administration. Wrote intake interview summaries of potential class-action members.
- Summer Intern – Wrote research memoranda on the enforceability of a credit demand clause within international arbitration. Researched and reported to in-house counsel on other transactional issues for financing various international projects being developed by the company.
Nicholas Jimenez is a Senior Associate at JFB Legal. Nicholas is an experienced litigator with extensive experience in both state and federal court. During his career, Nick has represented clients of all sizes – from individuals to multinational corporations – in a variety of capacities. Nick has experience in antitrust, intellectual property, real estate litigation, bankruptcy, breach of contract, business torts, and white-collar crime.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, May 2015
- Order of the Barristers: Excellence in Trial Advocacy
Shalom Moot Court Award: Excellence in Oral Advocacy
Duquesne Business Law Journal: Articles Editor
Duquesne Intellectual Property Law Association: Vice President
National Civil Trial Competition 2014: Outstanding Advocate, Finalist
Emory & Henry College, B.A., International Relations, magna cum laude, 2011
- Represented a horse farm in an easement dispute with a regional airport.
- Represented one partner in a medical practice in withdrawing from the practice with the full value of his interest intact.
- Represented a national corporation in premises liability actions.
- Represented a national vehicle repair provider in an antitrust case alleging a price-fixing scheme.
- Represented a national electric supply company in a contract dispute with a general contractor.
- Represented numerous small businesses in disputes with local government, other businesses, and individuals.
- Represented a regional auto dealership in a dispute with the attorney general regarding their advertising practices.
- Represented individuals in cases involving allegations of wire fraud, embezzlement, insider trading, and other white-collar crimes.
Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Assisted a local police department in investigating alleged misconduct by an officer.
- Assisted several small businesses in internal investigations into potential wrongdoing by partners, employees, and others.
- Assisted investors and shareholders in obtaining updated records to ensure their money was being properly managed.
Goodman Allen Donnelly, Norfolk, VA
Obermayer, Rebmann, Maxwell & Hippel, Philadelphia, PA
- Associate – Broad civil litigation practice that includes commercial litigation, medical malpractice defense, regulatory investigations, and civil-rights litigation. Prepared responsive pleadings including special pleas, pleas in bar, answers, and demurrers. Prepared discovery requests and responses. Consulted with potential experts and prepared expert designations. Conducted and defended both witness and expert depositions. Prepared briefs in support of various motions, including motions for summary judgment. Managed large document productions throughout the discovery process. Participated in mediation and arbitrations. Consulted with small businesses to provide advice concerning policies related to employment and compliance. Represented small businesses in government regulatory investigations. Litigated adversary actions pending in bankruptcy court. Prepared insurance coverage opinions.
Zimmer Kunz, Pittsburgh, PA
- Associate – Experience in all phases of commercial litigation, including dispute arising from business dissolutions, breach of contract claims, product liability, bankruptcy, antitrust litigation, government regulatory actions and white-collar crime. Litigated employment issues including wage and hour violations, EEOC complaints, and disputes over anti-competitive covenants. Litigated adversary actions during Chapter 11 Bankruptcy proceedings. Analyzed partnership agreements, corporate by-laws, non-competes and other authoritative documents. Provided insurance coverage opinions and litigated disputes concerning extent of insurance coverage. Represented small businesses in disputes with lenders and other business entities. Conducted internal investigations into employee misconduct.
(2015 – 2018)
United States Attorney’s Office, Western District of Pennsylvania, PA
- Associate – Broad civil defense practice involving litigation on behalf of both insurance companies, and institutional clients. Prepared pleadings, briefs, and other filings, including dispositive motions. Appeared in court to present oral arguments on preliminary objections, summary judgment, and discovery motions. Conducted and defended depositions. Prepared written discovery directed to individuals, corporate entities, and expert witnesses. Utilized e-discovery software to produce properly redact electronically stored information. Prepared privilege log throughout the e-discovery process. Analyzed insurance policies and prepared coverage opinions. Defended insurance bad-faith claims. Analyzed product liability claims, including participating in the inspection of the allegedly defective products with expert witnesses. Conducted site inspections for cases involving claims of premises liability. Defended healthcare providers, small medical offices, and large institutions such as hospitals against claims of medical malpractice. Participated in site inspections, including the inspections of defective products by expert witnesses.
(January 2015 – August 2015)
- Certified Legal Intern – Worked with the Violent Crime and White-Collar Crime departments. Interviewed witnesses during internal investigations, and criminal investigations. Shadowed Assistant United States’ Attorneys (AUSAs) during meetings with FBI agents. Assisted AUSAs during review of discovery related to wire-fraud, drafted memoranda to assist AUSAs as they attempted to prosecute white-collar crimes. Observed AUSAs conduct select juries, and present cases to juries. Observed motion’s practice before various judges in the Western District of Pennsylvania. Participated in investigations concerning potential wire fraud, and other white-collar criminal offenses.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Steven Prawitt is an Associate at JFB Legal and a recent graduate of William & Mary Law School. Steven has conducted legal research on a variety of commercial litigation issues in federal and state courts. At JFB Legal, Steven has worked primarily on complex contract disputes pending in New York, including work on pre-trial and appellate matters. While in law school, Steven represented indigent clients in criminal trials in Virginia and successfully argued a motion to strike an appealed misdemeanor charge in Circuit Court. Steven competed in Moot Court tournaments in Florida and New York as a student and directed recruitment for the second-ranked Moot Court team in the nation.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2022
- Moot Court Executive Board
Bushrod T. Washington Tournament Director
Public Discourse Initiative, President
Utah State University, B.S., Political Science, 2018
- Government Relations Council, Lobbying Chair
USUSA Dedication to Excellence Award
USU Men’s Volleyball
Office of the Public Defender, Fredericksburg, VA (Summer 2020)
BrownGreer PLC, Richmond, VA (Summer 2019)
- Third-year Practice Intern – Represented indigent clients charged with misdemeanor offenses in Virginia. Tried cases, argued bond motions, and negotiated and presented plea agreements in General District Court, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, and Circuit Court in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. Assisted with research and preparation for felony cases. Conducted client interviews, jail visits, and witness interviews in the interest of client-centered representation.
Deputy Campaign Manager, Logan, UT (Summer-Fall 2018)
- Summer Law Clerk – Evaluated claim packages related to the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting settlement. Reviewed medical and financial documents to recommend claim value under the claims administration protocol. Prepared Notices of Allocation for hundreds of potential claimants.
- Staffed the most successful independent campaign for the U.S. House of Representatives in state history. Directed all grassroots and canvassing efforts with over 500 volunteers. Oversaw political events and debate preparation. Drafted press releases, policy positions, and outreach messaging with the candidate and staff.
JFB Legal offers a summer internship program, both for undergraduate college students and law school students (2nd to 3rd year). Internship opportunities are available in both the Norfolk and New York office locations. No previous legal experience is required. We are looking for people with strong academics and an interest in civil litigation. Interns will get exposure to trials and the trial process. Interns are paid at an hourly rate plus daily parking (Norfolk only). Interested candidates should send a resume and covering letter to Caroline George, Executive Director & Chief Financial Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2021 Summer Interns
- Chase Yager, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA,
Class of 2023
- Sydney Beverly, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA,
Class of 2024
- Track and Field (Pole Vaulting)
- Mia Parrott, The College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA,
Class of 2024
Stephen Hitt is a Senior Paralegal at JFB Legal. Stephen brings over five years of paralegal experience having previously worked in both large and boutique firms on a diverse range of civil and criminal matters. Stephen enjoys solving complex logistics problems as they arise in litigation, from case initiation through to trial and appeal.
State University of New York at Albany, B.A. in English & Music, 2015, summa cum laude
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, New York, NY
(2018 – 2020)
The Rosen Law Firm, P.A., New York, NY
- Litigation Paralegal – Participated in all aspects of the litigation lifecycle including investigation, briefing, discovery, trial, and appeal. Produced documents to government agencies on behalf of financial institutions. Coordinated appellate submissions for large joint defense groups. Analyzed client cost projections and prepared monthly bills
(2017 – 2018)
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, New York, NY
- Litigation Paralegal – Investigated claims of alleged fraud for individuals and institutions trading complex financial instruments. Explored issues in recent securities fraud cases and presented findings to team. Analyzed investor subscription documents and calculated losses. Drafted pleadings and motions, discovery requests and responses.
(2016 – 2017)
- Legal Assistant – Prepared client memoranda, engagement letters, and agreements. Liaised with institutional and individual clients, opposing counsel, and international offices. Scheduled meetings on behalf of leadership committees with global partnership.
- The National Association of Legal Assistants
Livia Fine is a Counsel at JFB Legal. She has broad experience representing and counseling clients in a wide range of matters in many areas of law and across several industries. Livia has represented leading companies and executives in the fields of technology, cryptocurrency, banking, private equity, genomics, pharmaceuticals, media, and energy, among others. She has led teams in areas of law that include antitrust, natural resources, bankruptcy, securities, breach of contract, white collar crime, product liability, and others. Livia regularly goes to trial and prepares cases for trial before judges and juries in state and federal court, and before arbitrators. Livia loves developing and mining the factual record to craft litigation strategies and prepare cases for summary judgment and trial. She partners with clients to learn all aspects of their business, examine their needs, and identify potential litigation risks and solutions.
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- Senior Articles Editor, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
Duke University, B.A., Public Policy, 2004
The Hon. J.L. Edmondson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (2011 – 2012)
- Represented one of the world’s largest media and technology companies in a closely watched antitrust trial in United States District Court for the Northern District of California involving allegations about its industry-leading mobile device and App Store. Defeated all federal antitrust claims and won counterclaim.
- Represented Chief Financial Officer of the world’s second largest mining company in connection with SEC enforcement action and private class action related to accounting practices. Obtained rare dismissal of all fraud counts and positively positioned case for upcoming trial in the Southern District of New York. Obtained dismissal of follow-on private class action, including successful opposition on appeal to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented one of the largest broadband communication and video service providers in breach of contract litigation regarding recent merger.
- Represented major international bank in arbitral victory, defeating a multibillion-dollar fraudulent inducement, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty claim brought by a sovereign wealth fund related to a $7.5 billion investment.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in bellwether trial as part of national product liability litigation regarding a major anti-depressant. Obtained two complete defense verdicts in two different jurisdictions.
- Represented the leading provider of television ratings in the FTC Second Request investigation of a proposed $1.25 billion acquisition, resulting in the negotiation and entry of a consent decree approving the acquisition with minimal conditions.
- Represented major international energy company in a $9 billion precedent-setting environmental damage case involving 66 days of testimony and closing arguments.
Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Represented leading crypto mining company in SEC investigation of recent transactions.
- Represented major international bank in state and federal investigation of compliance practices related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented former CEO and Chairman of one of the world’s largest retailers in internal and federal investigation of international real estate purchases.
Pro Bono Representations
- Represented an indigent defendant wrongly accused and previously convicted of murder in a jury trial in New York State Court. After a fifth double murder trial and more than 16 years in jail, the client was acquitted and released from prison.
- Represented individuals before the New York State Unemployment Appeals Board.
- Represented victim of violent assault in state and federal case against the New York State Department of Corrections for negligent treatment of mentally ill prisoner and improper release procedures.
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP, New York, NY (2010-2021)
- Litigation Associate (2010-2011, 2012-2021)
Bar AdmissionsCourt Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
Deborah Betterton is a Senior Paralegal and the Norfolk Office Manager at JFB Legal. Deborah brings 14+ years of paralegal litigation experience gained at a boutique law firm where she managed a trial-heavy caseload of civil and criminal matters. Deborah is a detail-oriented quick thinker who has proven her ability to meet challenges head-on while multi-tasking and adapting to changing priorities.
Tidewater Community College, A.A.S., Paralegal Studies (Litigation), 2013, magna cum laude
Notary Public, Commonwealth of Virginia (active)
Dickerson & Smith Law Group, Virginia Beach, VA (2007-2021)
Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters, Norfolk, VA (2004-2007)
- General Practice Paralegal – Responsible for preparing a variety of legal pleadings as directed by supervising attorneys. Managed trial-heavy case load through all stages of litigation cycle; coordinated hearing dates and scheduled matters in local courts; calendarized deadlines; and assisted supervising attorneys with all aspects of trial preparation. Drafted and reviewed all phases of discovery in civil matters as directed by supervising attorneys. Acted as liaison between attorneys, courts, clients, and opposing parties.
- Legal Assistant/Legal Department Supervisor – Responsible for large volume collection docket. Appeared in local courts with supervising attorney to assist with completion of court documents, evaluated and noted funds received in collection actions, and scheduled trial dates with court for disputed matters. Maintained records relating to court dockets and updated files with court results and attorney recommendations. Acted as liaison between firm and collection clients. Prepared legal pleadings as directed by attorneys and assisted attorneys with all aspects of trial preparation.
- Real Estate Paralegal – Responsible for performing residential real estate closings under supervision of attorneys. Evaluated title binder and collected records and funds required for closings. Completed closing documents and forwarded same to lenders for loan closing approval. Disbursed funds from real estate closings pursuant to executed Closing Disclosures and ensured lien and loan payoffs were timely submitted. Prepared and ensured timely filing of Deeds and Deeds of Trust. Provided title insurance policies to both buyers and lenders. Handled any post-closing issues as they arose.
- Executive Assistant to Director of Safety and Security – Responsible for updating and maintaining Safety Policy and Procedure Manual. Acted as liaison among hospital executives and employees. Managed department calendar and contact list. Provided safety training to all hospital departments. Maintained meeting minutes for interdepartmental meetings and prepared memos, presentations, and reports for the department Director. Developed an inventory tracking system. Coordinated with vendors for required services and provided access to restricted areas as needed. Assisted department supervisors with supervision of department staff members and assigning tasks for completion.
- The National Association of Legal Assistants