Destin Rodgers is a Paralegal at JFB Legal. A current undergraduate student majoring in Computer Science, Destin brings both academic and professional technology experience to JFB Legal, having worked in multiple roles, most recently as the founder/manager of a successful graphic design company serving artists and professionals in Coastal Virginia.
Old Dominion University, B.S., Computer Science (expected completion – Spring 2025)
Tidewater Community College, A.S., Computer Science (expected completion – December 2023)
Virginia Tech, B. Arch, Architecture (2019 – 2021 Transferred to Tidewater Community College)
- VT Crew – Team Member & Public Relations Officer
- VT Triathlon Club
Founder, Agos Artistry LLC, Norfolk, VA (2019 – 2023)
- Established and ran a successful graphic design company, responsible for managing all aspects of the business operations.
- Coordinated with clients and artists for orders of 100+ shirts.
- Designed original artwork using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Screen printed apparel and fulfilled 200+ orders over a two-year period.
- Drafted contracts with collaborating artists and conducted photoshoots with models.
Intern, Barrier Islands Center, Machipongo, VA (Summer 2022)
- Designed website navigation tools and rebuilt the center’s entire website using Squarespace 7.1.
- Photographed museum programs, classes, and events, and uploaded content to the new website.
Summer Program Director’s Assistant, Norfolk Academy, Norfolk, VA (May 2021 – December 2022)
- Conducted campus-wide COVID-19 testing for 1,400 students.
- Planned and developed camp offerings for the school’s 2022 and 2023 summer programs.
High School Athletic Coach, Norfolk Academy, Norfolk, VA (2021 – 2023)
- Assistant Coach, Varsity Swim Team
- Head Coach, Novice Boys Crew Team
Gabriella Sternfeld is an Associate at JFB Legal. Gabriella is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience representing corporate and individual clients in a variety of capacities including commercial litigation, complex multi-party litigation, public entity defense, general liability, catastrophic injury, and professional malpractice. Gabriella is experienced in all facets of litigation including mediation and trial.
Lewis and Clark Law School, J.D., 2020
- 1L Best Oral Advocate
- Orientation Leader and Peer Mentor for Incoming Law Students
- Student Judge for 1L Appellate Brief Oral Argument
- Selected Participant to the Center for Business Law and Innovation Workshop hosted by Intel
Loyola Marymount University, B.A., History, 2013
- Represented the nation’s second largest public school district in a complex mass torts litigation and corresponding insurance coverage litigation.
- Represented municipality in complex mass torts litigation concerning widespread sexual abuse committed by former city employee and purported cover up by the city.
Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Conducted independent investigation for various corporate and public entities, including public utility company, concerning widespread employee misconduct and alleged coverup.
Andrade Gonzalez, LLP, Los Angeles, CA (2020-2022)Associate
- Prepared all pre-trial written work product for catastrophic personal injury case against a public entity which resulted in settlement award of $575,000 for individual plaintiff.
- Conducted independent investigations for entities regarding widespread employee misconduct and alleged coverup of sexual assault.
- Collaborated closely with founding partners in complex insurance coverage disputes representing corporate, governmental, and individual policyholders against their insurance carriers.
Chapman Glucksman, Los Angeles, CA (2022-2023)Associate
- Primary handling attorney on dozens of cases ranging from professional malpractice, business litigation, and general liability with jury and court trial, arbitration, and mediation experience.
- Draft and argue meritorious motions, including dispositive motions and discovery motions obtaining sanctions jointly and severally against opposing parties and their counsel.
- Support senior and equity partners prepare for trial on complex, multimillion-dollar commercial litigation matters.
- Obtain dismissal with prejudice on medical malpractice action without filing a responsive pleading.
Alexander Kalyniuk is an Associate at JFB Legal. Alexander is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience representing parties in all phases of litigation including pre-suit investigation, pleading, discovery, dispositive motions, trial, and appeals. He has argued dispositive motions and tried both bench and jury trials in federal court. He represents clients in a broad variety of cases. While working for the Department of Justice, he handled over 100 cases in federal courts in over 30 jurisdictions covering tax, foreign banking, partnership, administrative, constitutional, property, and international law. In addition, Alexander has substantive bankruptcy law experience, having represented creditors, financial institutions, and government agencies in large Chapter 11 bankruptcies such as Toys “R” Us, Gymboree, and FTD. He received two awards for his work at the Department of Justice: a special commendation for a trial win and an award presented to outstanding trial attorneys.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2017, cum laude
- William & Mary Business Law Review, Managing Editor & Outstanding Member
- ABA Award for Excellence in Health Law
- Law Review Article: More Than Just a Toothache? N.C. Dental Leaves Medical Boards Vulnerable: A Look at Telemedicine Companies and Antitrust Challenges to State Prescription Drug Rules, 8 Wm. & Mary Bus. L. Rev. 175 (2016)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A. in History of Science, Medicine, and Technology, 2014, with distinction
The Hon. Kevin R. Huennekens, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond, VA (2017-2018)
- Served as first chair in a remote trial via Zoom in Pennsylvania which resulted in a favorable ruling for the government that the debtor’s tax debts were not dischargeable since he had willfully attempted to evade his taxes.
- Argued and won a motion for summary judgment in Virginia in the first successful fraudulent transfer lawsuit to collect on a judgment for civil penalties related to the failure to report foreign bank or financial accounts (FBAR).
- Represented the government in a contested matter in the FTD bankruptcy case that resulted in a precedential jurisdictional win in Delaware for a multimillion dollar issue.
- Represented the government in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case in California for a prominent engineer who had been previously convicted of stealing self-driving car technology but was later pardoned.
- Represented the Chapter 7 Trustee of the bankruptcy estate of a debtor incarcerated for fraud and recouped hundreds of thousands of dollars for the benefit of creditors through avoidance actions.
- Represented the government in the Chapter 11 plan negotiation process in several large bankruptcies in Delaware such as FTD, AAC Holdings, and In-Shape Holdings.
- Obtained injunctions against businesses in federal courts in New Jersey and North Carolina for their failure to comply with federal tax law.
- Represented several low-income individuals in divorce proceedings in central and western Virginia.
United States Department of Justice, Tax Division, Civil Trial Section-Eastern, Washington, D.C. (2019-2023)
Hirschler Fleischer, P.C., Richmond, VA (2018-2019)
Bar AdmissionsCourt Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
Grant Anderson is an Event Coordinator at JFB Legal. A rising undergraduate senior at UNLV, majoring in Hospitality Management, Grant brings both academic and professional event planning experience to JFB Legal. Grant has worked in the hospitality industry for over 5 years, most recently at a Nevada-based Wedding & Special Events company, where he developed a best practice event planning and day-of coordination checklist for use within the organization. At JFB Legal, Grant is responsible for assisting in arranging and coordinating all firm-sponsored events, and for building and maintaining its social media presence.
The University of Nevada at Las Vegas, NV, B.S., Hospitality Management (expected graduation Spring 2024)
- Dean’s List
- President’s List
- UNLV Crew Team, Vice President & Treasurer
- UNLV Sports Club Executive Council, Treasurer
- UNLV Athletics Student Marketing Intern
- University of Montana Grizzly Marching Band – Social Media Manager
Event Coordinator & Administrative Assistant, Dare to Dream Events, Las Vegas, NV
- Responsible for assisting in the planning, booking and execution of events ranging in size from 50-450 people, contributing to or performing a management role at multiple events.
- Managed social media presence, making multiple posts every week, including activity on Instagram and TikTok.
- Served as an Administrative Assistant to the Lead Planner, performing organizational and administrative tasks, contacting clients and vendors, dealing with the intricate details of event logistics, including scheduling, and drafting event timelines.
Educator, Lululemon Athletica, Las Vegas, NV
- Provided store guests with an in-depth product knowledge on current inventory, which included over 250 unique clothing and athletic items.
- Assisted hundreds of guests per hour, providing each with a unique retail experience based upon their personal fitness goals.
Emma Somers is a Researcher at JFB Legal. A recent graduate of Johns Hopkins University, majoring in Cognitive Science and minoring in Marketing & Communications and Leadership Studies, Emma brings both academic and professional research experience to JFB Legal, through her participation and organization of multiple research projects, both in academia and for commercial enterprises. At JFB Legal, Emma is responsible for maintaining a client focused newsfeed for the firm, and conducting extensive research, review, and fundamental analysis to assist the attorneys as they prepare cases for trial.
Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, M.A., European Public Policy (expected completion Summer 2025)
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, M.H.S., Mental Health (expected completion Spring 2024)
Johns Hopkins University, B.A. in Cognitive Science, Minor in Marketing & Communication, Minor in Leadership Studies (Spring 2023)
- Dean’s List
- General Honors
- Departmental Honors in Cognitive Science
- Track & Field Team, Captain (2022-2023)
- Alpha Phi Fraternity Member
- NEST Consulting Club
Research Assistant, Johns Hopkins Center for Psychedelic & Consciousness Research, Baltimore, MD (Part-time, November 2022 – Present)
- Assists with the management of multiple study protocols relating to the effects of psychedelics and brain stimulation on both healthy and unhealthy participants.
- Conducts patient screenings to assess potential participants’ eligibility for participation in certain protocols.
- Conducts research that furthers understanding of current protocols and existing research, often compiled into literature reviews on topics pertaining to each study.
- Performs data analysis specific to each study, such as data transcription, data acceptance or rejection, and statistic calculation.
Johns Hopkins Campus Manager, Fresh Prints, Remote (August 2022 – May 2023)
- Collaborating with over 100 on-campus organizations at Johns Hopkins University to create their own custom apparel for internal consumption, events, or fundraising.
- Building and developing a network of over 30 student and corporate clients in Baltimore to create and sell custom merchandise.
- Guiding clients through the creation and distribution process, from design to item specifications, pricing, and finally, order submission and delivery.
Legal Intern, Baltimore Witness, Baltimore, MD (February 2021 – May 2021)
- Published over 25 articles and summarized data relating to violent crime activity and case development in Baltimore City to promote transparency within the Baltimore County legal system and provide public updates on active court cases.
- Research and analyzed violent crime data in Baltimore City by tracking and compiling active gun-related cases.
- Attended and reported on courtroom procedures, trials, and hearings regarding violent crime cases in Baltimore City.
Senior Counselor, Norfolk Academy Leadership Lab, Norfolk, VA (June 2021, June 2022)
- Led 120 rising high school sophomores and juniors through an 8-day rural and urban immersive retreat in Prince William National Forest and Washington D.C. designed to facilitate personal growth and leadership skills.
- Facilitated group and individual discussions that required campers to navigate internal emotions in peer settings.
- Organized physical activities such as orienteering, designed to develop each participant’s leadership style.
Summer Camp Counselor, Summer at the Academy, Norfolk, VA (June 2016 – August 2016)
- Oversaw groups of 20+ fourth and fifth graders in themed summer day camps
- Ensured all campers’ continued safety throughout their day as well as emotional and physical wellness through constant communication, individual check ins, and group discussions.
- Planned and executed all activities for campers and organized any transportation needed for camp activities.
- Facilitated any necessary conflict resolution between campers throughout each week.
- Oversaw parent pick-up and drop-off of all campers.
Steven Prawitt is an Associate at JFB Legal. Steven started with JFB Legal as a Law Clerk, working on a large commercial dispute in New York state court with tens of millions of dollars at stake. Steven’s practice today includes representation of a large national bank, high-net-worth individuals, and a cryptocurrency exchange. He works with a small team on dozens of open matters, including regulatory inquiries, enforcement actions, and private lawsuits in multiple jurisdictions and forums. At JFB Legal, Steven has learned the value of rigorous preparation and attention to detail. At William & Mary Law School, Steven attained an early-practice certification to defend indigent clients in Virginia state courts. He was an active member of the Moot Court team, competing in national tournaments and serving as director of recruitment.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2022
- The Bushrod T. Washington Moot Court Tournament, Director
Public Discourse Initiative, President
Utah State University, B.S., Political Science, 2018
- Government Relations Council, Lobbying Chair USUSA Dedication to Excellence Award USU Men’s Volleyball
Office of the Public Defender, Fredericksburg, VA (Summer 2020)
- Third-year Practice Intern – Represented indigent clients charged with misdemeanor offenses in Virginia. Tried cases, argued bond motions, and negotiated and presented plea agreements in General District Court, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, and Circuit Court in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. Assisted with research and preparation for felony cases. Conducted client interviews, jail visits, and witness interviews in the interest of client-centered representation.
BrownGreer PLC, Richmond, VA (Summer 2019)
- Summer Law Clerk – Evaluated claim packages related to the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting settlement. Reviewed medical and financial documents to recommend claim value under the claims administration protocol. Prepared Notices of Allocation for hundreds of potential claimants.
Deputy Campaign Manager, Logan, UT (Summer-Fall 2018)
- Staffed the most successful independent campaign for the U.S. House of Representatives in state history. Directed all grassroots and canvassing efforts with over 500 volunteers. Oversaw political events and debate preparation. Drafted press releases, policy positions, and outreach messaging with the candidate and staff.
Anastasia Vracheva is the Financial Controller at JFB Legal. Anastasia brings over 14 years’ accounting and financial management experience in the client service industry. Anastasia is proficient in billing, recordkeeping, financial calculation, analysis, and customer relations.
William & Mary Business School, M. Acc. (expected completion 2024)
Ural State University, B.A., and M.A. Social Work, 2007
Notary Public, Commonwealth of Virginia (active)
Roto-Rooter Services Company, Virginia Beach, VA
Allison Melton is a Senior Associate at JFB Legal. Allison brings almost 15 years’ litigation experience, advocating for her clients in both federal and state courts and in arbitration. During her career, Allison has represented a broad range of clients, and has successfully defended creditors and financial institutions against consumer litigation in a variety of forums across the country.
George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School, J.D., 2007
- Contributor, Civil Rights Law Journal
George Mason University, B.A., Government & International Politics, Minor in English, 2003, magna cum laude
- Dean’s List
Oxford University, UK, Fall 2000 – Study Abroad Independent Research Program.
The Honorable Mary Grace O’Brien, Circuit Court for Prince William County, Virginia, 2008
- Court rejected mortgagor’s challenge to a lender’s standing to foreclose without producing the original promissory note, one of the first appellate courts in the U.S. to do so.
- Persuaded federal court to hold that sending a notice of a nonjudicial foreclosure sale to a mortgagor does not make foreclosing trustee a debt collector under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), distinguishing the relevant precedent at the time.
- Represented a leading food and beverage manufacturer in products liability and business litigation.
- Successfully defended financial institutions in class actions and individual lawsuits brought by consumers under various consumer protection statues, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) and state unfair practices acts.
Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Assisted clients with resolving complaints from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and state attorneys general.
Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders LLP, Virginia Beach, VA (2016-2022)
BWW Law Group, LLC, Rockville, MD (2008-2016)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Elizabeth Lee is a Senior Associate at JFB Legal. Liz is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience representing multinational corporations and Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes complex litigation in federal and state courts across the country and providing advice and solutions to the issues clients face at all stages of litigation. She loves collaborating with clients to learn deeply about their industry and business, identify their needs, and advise on potential litigation risks and solutions.
Rutgers Law School, J.D., , 2013
- Captain of International Chamber of Commerce Mediation Competition Team
Pro Bono Recognition Student Volunteer
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, M.A., Conference Interpretation, 2004
Rutgers University, B.A., English, 2001
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in mass torts litigation.
- Represented a foreign construction material manufacturer in complex litigation matters in multiple federal courts around the country.
- Managed multiple jurisdictions and supervised local counsel and co-counsel in all aspects of litigation from inception to trial in a national counsel team representing a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company.
- Managed multiple products liability cases in various jurisdictions and supervised local counsel in a national counsel team serving a global automobile part manufacturer.
Internal and Regulatory Investigations
- Managed litigation diligence for an investment management corporation.
- Communicated regularly with clients and their senior leadership to identify, assess, and strategize on legal issues.
- Advised corporate and manufacturing clients on product warranties and safety guides.
- Drafted responses to inquiries from US regulatory bodies and international regulators on client’s products and litigation.
- Represented and argued at multiple court hearings on a child support case in NY Queens County Family Court.
- Represented an individual in a civil lawsuit against municipality and argued at a hearing for motion for summary judgment.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, New York, NY (2018-2022)
- Managing Associate – Litigation
DLA Piper LLP, New York, NY (2014-2018)
Bar AdmissionsCourt Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Emily Mason is a Law Clerk at JFB Legal. A final year law student at Elon University School of Law, Emily brings both academic and practical experience from her work in the medical and client service sectors. As a pre-med student at Washington & Lee University, Emily spent three years in a neuroscience and biology laboratory, researching the effects of snacking on obesity. At JFB Legal, Emily has successfully applied her scientific research skills to legal services, working on the firm’s complex medical insurance coverage cases.
Elon University School of Law, J.D., December 2022 (expected)
Washington & Lee University, B.S., Neuroscience, 2020
- Biology Department & Neuroscience Program Research Scholarship to study the effects of snacking on obesity.
A.G. Linett & Associates, PA, Greensboro, NC (January – April 2022)
- Resident – Worked with supervising attorney to conduct legal research and wrote research memoranda for firm and client use on wrongful death, workers’ compensation, and land dispute cases. Reported legal research to supervising attorney to determine best legal course of action for clients.
Elizabeth Manor Golf & Country Club, Portsmouth, VA (May 2019 – July 2020)
- Event Hostess/Banquet Server – Assisted with the planning, preparation, and organization of events, including weddings, conferences, celebrations, etc. Interacted with country club members to provide efficient and friendly customer service. Motivated co-workers and helped supervise part time staff at events.
Haygood Physical Therapy PC, Virginia Beach, VA (May 2016 – August 2017)
- Physical Therapist Assistant – Assisted patients with exercise plans; provided ice or heat; prepared examination rooms for appointments. Multi-tasked between scheduling patients and providing hands on patient care; performed receptionist duties; answering the phones and collecting insurance information from patients.